Another throwback recipe!! With the hubby not being able to tolerate spicy foods I haven’t had a chance to make this one a second time around! This one is definitely worth a try for your taste buds, they will go crazy!
I got this recipe through Pinterest, posted by Simply Gloria. Where I also did the recipe step-by-step and she had the most helpful tips, photos and tricks listed with the recipe as well! Before trying out this meal, I had NO clue how to shred chicken, or even that you could boil chicken. MIND BLOWN. On top of that, the sauce for this recipe I have also incorporated it into countless on-the-spot dinners now at home!
68 lasagna pasta, drained and cooked
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 cup buffalo sauce, divided
- 1 (8 oz) cream cheese package, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups mozzarella, shredded
- Add 6 pieces of lasagna pasta to a large pot of boiling water.
- I used 8 pieces. No changes have to be made to the measurements.
- Cook pasta for 4-5 minutes. It will finish cooking in the oven.
- I had to cook mine for about 7-8, I live in a rental and my oven burners are uneven when cooking.
- While the pasta is cooking start on the white cream sauce and chicken. (See Notes below)
- Drain pasta in strainer and lay pasta onto paper towels to dry off excess water.
- This was trial and error, I cooked the extra pieces for this reason, I had a one lasagna pastas tear upon removal from the water that could not be used to roll. Hence the seven rolls pictured above, not too shabby.
- For the white cream sauce – heat a sauce pan (medium to large) at medium heat, add the butter, 4 oz (or half) of the cream cheese, and the heavy whipping cream. Whisk it all together while it is heating up. Sprinkle in some garlic and
onion powderseasoned salt. You can also add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside once it has thickened.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded chicken, the remaining 4 oz of cream cheese, mozzarella, and buffalo sauce. Stir and set aside.
- Put a spoonful of the white cream sauce on each pasta. Next, spread the chicken mixture evenly on top of the sauce. (Be sure not to overload it, otherwise it won’t roll up) Sprinkle with some mozzarella, then roll up.
- Have a baking dish off to the side with some white cream sauce on the bottom. Set each lasagna roll onto the sauce.
- Pour the remaining cream sauce on the roll-ups. Sprinkle on more mozzarella and drizzle some extra buffalo sauce.
- Seriously just drizzle, as you can see above I overloaded mine, and the sauce overpowered the dish. It was still delicious, but it was just too much buffalo sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, bake for about 25-30 minutes. Then allow it to rest and cool for about 10 minutes after pulling it out of the oven.
How to Shred Chicken Breasts: Put the 2 boneless chicken breasts into a pot of water at about medium heat. (No need to rinse the chicken) Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once it has come to a boil, remove from heat but leave the lid on and let the chicken continue to cook for roughly 20 minutes. Then, take out the chicken and shred with two forks.
This dish was superb, besides the fact that my drizzling techniques need some definite work! I will most certainly be attempting this one again, and since I have been using this same white cream sauce on many dishes, I would add much more to this recipe than what is listed. In my attempt I did not have enough to fill the bottom of the baking dish with leftovers to pour over the top. I also did not have onion powder on hand, so I opted for seasoned salt instead.
You also can take it one step at a time, I cooked all three separate items at once to cut back on time, and also because I prefer multitasking. I also found out that the noodles would not roll up as easily if left sitting for too long, and ended up having to put them back in the pot for a few extra minutes once the chicken was finally ready to be shredded.
Overall, this recipe does take a little over an hour to make, what with prep time then cooking/cooling times. It was a weekend dinner for me when I wasn’t too rushed to complete it. But I would definitely recommend it! Check out more recipes by Simply Gloria!