I am so excited to share this post-Halloween recipe with you today! I’m obsessed with holiday themed treats and decided to try my hand at cake balls! I love the look of cake balls, they are so petite and easy to eat, and before creating this batch I had never even had one before! Yes I know, crazy, they have only been super popular for about three years now..what can I saw I’m a little late.
So basically I searched my favorite site, PINTEREST, of course! I simply put in a search for pumpkin spice cake recipes and stumbled across the cake ball one. It’s been a long time coming to try out a cake ball recipe for me, all of my previous baking experiences lead me to this moment! Granted there were some hiccups along the way due to me not reading the instructions fully..oopsies. But they turned out so amazingly perfect regardless of my ingredients malfunction and are probably the softest dessert I have ever consumed! Definitely going to be some more cake balls in the near future, I think I might put some together for my sister’s bridal shower coming up in December!
What You’ll Need for the Cake:
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 – 15 ounce can pumpkin puree (or roughly 2 cups)
- 1 container cream cheese frosting
What You’ll Need for the Coating:
- 1 pound vanilla candy coating/almond bark
- 1-3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate chips
- Sprinkles of your choosing
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and lightly-flour your cake pan, set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the cake mix, eggs, and pumpkin puree and mix until just combined. Continue to beat for 2 minutes, until light and fluffy. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely.
- So I did not use a mixer like the instructions said, I’m perfectly capable at whisking 🙂 and I also did the batter according to the instructions on the back of the cake box and proceeded to add the pumpkin puree as well….this is where I need to pay attention more to instructions!
- Because of the additional ingredients and the fact that I did not separate the batter between two cake pans my cake took a bit longer to cook through completely, roughly 35-40 minutes.
- Once your cake has completely cooled, break up the cake into a large bowl, add in the cream cheese frosting (roughly half the container), and using clean hands, smoosh it together until well-mixed. Using damp hands, form the mixture into 1″ balls and place them onto a baking sheet. Once you’ve finished with all the mixture, place the baking sheet in the freezer.
- While the cake balls are chilling, melt the candy coating in a saucepan over low heat, until smooth. Add in the vegetable oil, a tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is the thickness of a thin alfredo sauce. Turn off the burner.
- Do not try to thin out the coating with milk or water, it will start to look like cottage cheese and not edible whatsoever.
- Remove the cake balls from the freezer, working one at a time, gently drop a cake ball into the coating, and spoon more over top until completely covered. Fish out the ball with a spoon, and place it on wax paper to harden. Repeat the process, and don’t worry you will have plenty coating to do all of the balls.
- Optional: For decoration you can melt the semisweet chocolate chips in the microwave at 30 second intervals so as not to burn the chocolate. Once melted, spoon into a Ziploc bag, cut off the bottom corner at an angle so as to create a makeshift frosting tip. Drizzle over cake balls and top with sprinkles.
Cake balls are BEYOND delicious, so moist and literally so versatile, I opted out of doing them on an actual stick this time around, but I know that they are much easier to do with the stick. They will look so much cleaner! I actually cut off the excess candy coating just to make them more appealing when I brought them to the Halloween Party. Oh, and tomorrow I will be posting the recipe for Halloween Bark 🙂 So exciting!! But come Monday it’s back to the daily grind of healthy eating with the start of my 7 Day FREE Clean Eating Challenge!! I’ll post more on that later if any of my avid bloggers out there are wanting to join! Happy Tuesday everyone!